Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Note tuning and quantizer in audio files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Note tuning and quantizer in audio files
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 22:14:15 EEST

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:01:05PM -0400, Them wrote:
> >I have watched as I try various tools to bang my playing into shape,
> >and am finally deciding that this is the wrong way to go. Spitiual
> >death is around the corner. Live music is best. Music is meant to be
> >PLAYED after all, not worked. Or worked over.

+1

I do think auto-tune has its place.
For example, the following scenario:

- you're on a tight budget
- everybody likes the "vibe" of a guide vocal that was done in a hurry
without much effort
- but the pitch isn't so good in some spots

In that situation I would use autotune without worrying about it -
in fact, I have done so :-)

It's a band-aid and should be treated as such. Overuse leads
to lack of soul... just as with overuse of punch-ins, comped takes,
and all such technological fixes for bad performances.

To rely on it routinely is IMHO really lame. The music does suffer.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com