Re: [linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 23:57:46 EEST

tim hall wrote:

> Over half of the soundfonts I've downloaded either don't work, sound plain
> awful or consist of just one halfway decent sound, the palette I'm looking
> for is quite limited, basically a decent fake orchestra that will run
> comfortably in 192M RAM, with possibly some classic keyboards (hammond,
> farfisa, vox, rhodes, wurly, mellotron type stuff). i.e. the stuff that's
> hard to synthesise.

If you find some decent Mellotron sounds, I'd be interested in hearing
about it. I've got a VST plugin with samples from a real Mellotron, but
I've yet to get it working using libfst or vstserver. I may just end up
making my own samples of the samples (which are, after all, early analog
samples of real instruments) and using them as soundfonts or something
along those lines. Of course, I can't redistribute them, since the
samples from GMedia are copyrighted.

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly