Re: [linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 00:33:48 EEST

Them wrote:
> tim hall wrote:
>
>> Over half of the soundfonts I've downloaded either don't work, sound
>> plain awful or consist of just one halfway decent sound, the palette
>> I'm looking for is quite limited, basically a decent fake orchestra
>> that will run comfortably in 192M RAM, with possibly some classic
>> keyboards (hammond, farfisa, vox, rhodes, wurly, mellotron type
>> stuff). i.e. the stuff that's hard to synthesise.
>

> If you find some decent Mellotron sounds, I'd be interested in hearing
> about it. I've got a VST plugin with samples from a real Mellotron, but
> I've yet to get it working using libfst or vstserver. I may just end up
> making my own samples of the samples (which are, after all, early analog
> samples of real instruments) and using them as soundfonts or something
> along those lines. Of course, I can't redistribute them, since the
> samples from GMedia are copyrighted.

If you're up for trying something new (I'm not a sound Font fan) you can
get a free Mellotron gig file at

http:www.worrasplace.com

(Look under 'Oldies'.)

and run it under QSampler, the GUI for LinuxSampler.

http://www.rncbc.org/ls/

(Build everything on Rui's LS page if you're interested in trying any of
this out.)

LS is all very much development software, and there are a lot of changes
going on right now so it may be broken, but maybe you'll get lucky. LS
is a Jack application and gerneally runs very well for me on most gig
files. There are still a few it really dies on but I cannot get the
developers to pay attention to those yet.

I use a different, for money, Mellotron gig file under QSampler and GSt,
but this free one is certain OK when buried in the right mix.

Good luck!

- Mark