[linux-audio-user] Lib_fst + VST server...

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Lib_fst + VST server...
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 00:51:39 EEST

Russell Hanaghan:

> Just wondering what the consensus is on the new lib_fst and recent
> updates to vst server...is it getting easier to install for example?
>
> I spent a LOT of time last round to no avail. I really want to be able
> to use my VST's on linux but I also need SLEEP! :)

Regarding the vstserver, theres small small changes in the code
since the last release, (which probably wont affect many people anyway).
But I haven't released anything because I'm not able to make
the vstserver compile with later versions of wine. I haven't asked on the
wine-list because I previously haven't much answers on that list,
and I don't know how to express the problems I'm having either.

The vstserver works pretty well, and, at the moment, probably much
better than lib_fst for most people. But I wouldn't reccomend
at all using any vst plugins in linux if theres a good ladspa/jack
alternative. Its problematic, and should in my opinion only be
used in special situations, for example if you want to show windows
people that, yes indeed, you can run the B4 vst instrument in linux.
Or, if you want to use the B4 vst instrument in linux, because you want
to use the B4 vst instrument. Nah, only my opinion. I'm sorry, its
not allways very easy to use, and my general advice if you can't
get a vst plugin to work, is that you should just give up.