Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 08:49:58 EEST

On 08-Jul-2004 Chris Pickett wrote:
} RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net wrote:
} > On 08-Jul-2004 Emiliano Grilli wrote:
} > } giovedì, 08 luglio 2004 alle 22:00:51, reed ha scritto:
} > } > >I am prepared to spend $10.00 or $15.00 towards the
} > } > >purchase of something if I know that money will be
} > } > >well spent. If a couple hundred of us do that, we'll
} > } > >make a hell of a contribution to our favorite project.

} > } > My 20.00 $ is ready to send!! I'm not joking..
} > }
} > } Have you had a look at mup? It's 29$, and these are the best money I've
} > } spent for a software... The paradigm is completely different from finale
} > } (it is not WYSIWYG), but the synthax is much more simple than lilypond,
} > and
} > } it's very powerful, I suggest you to try the demo version:
} >
} > I really like the shareware idea. It's clearcut and easy.
}
} Except that it's not. It turns away developers, it turns away users,
} and it turns away distributions. When a shareware project dies, it
} dies. There is no more, even if it was very good. Free software
} generally dies if it sucks and/or there is no demand -- that's a natural
} process of evolution.
}
} And it helps progr
} > ammers out of the "you need to work for someone else to make a living"
} > thing.
}
} I've encountered / heard of very few shareware developers who actually
} make a decent programmer's wages from their software.

 Do you always want to work for someone else? I think there needs to be room
for both... just like in other businesses.

} > {:} Might be nice if some of the winstuff I've already paid for would port
} > though. {The vst server does take care of some of that}}
}
} Personally, the proliferation of shareware (a.k.a. crippleware), demo
} versions, watermarked pages, expiry dates, registration keys, etc. etc.
} etc. was one of the biggest reasons I stopped using Windows in the first
} place. It drove me nuts! Of course I wasn't prepared to pay for
} something if I wasn't even sure to use it regularly (and boy am I glad
} as a consumer that I didn't). But I have donated to projects that do
} fill a real need in my life, whether with development time, bug reports,
} or money, and will continue to do so. Everyone can do that, and more
} often than not it seems like there is a greater benefit.

 Much of that is fixed... It's simple matter to buy stuff now. I don't have a
problem with donating to projects when I have the cash. {At the moment I don't}
I would rather just pay for something.

 You are probably right about the greater good... I'm a strong believer in
choice though.

} I don't mean to flame, rehash a tired ages-old conflict, or come across
} as a raving Linux Fanatic (believe me, I do recognize that there are

 Don't worry about it... Say what you think. I {we} will live through it. It's
much more frustrating when someone doesn't.

} several places where Linux cannot hold a candle to Windows), but please:
} let's make investments that ultimately benefit everybody, not just the
} developer (assuming the average small-time shareware / moneyware
} developer even really "benefits") and the immediate end user.
}
} Cheers, and let's not have a totally silly fight,

 I don't think we're having a fight at all.

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 09-Jul-2004
Time: 00:38:13

This message was sent by XFMail