[linux-audio-user] Finale, music typesetting for Linux, and Bordeaux reds

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Finale, music typesetting for Linux, and Bordeaux reds
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 16:46:40 EEST

Hi all:

  I returned from Bordeaux yesterday and am now plowing through the
hundreds of recent messages here. The particular threads re: Finale and
music typesetting are especially apropos for me: I've been working on a
heavy revision to the music notation software chapter of my book, and my
researches are leading me to some interesting (well I think they're
interesting ;) provisional conclusions. But before going into all that I
plan to post a criteria sheet cobbed from Alan Belkin's article on Mac
notation progs in a 1994 issue of the Computer Music Journal. I think it
would be enlightening and useful to see how well or badly Linux notation
apps in 2004 stack up against the major Mac apps in the same category
ten years ago. Might be fun... Anyway, I'll post the criteria later
today. Meanwhile I will unresevedly that LilyPond simply rules, it's an
amazing project, and the quality of output is truly remarkable. Big
props to everyone connected to the 'Pond !

Best,

dp

PS: Oh yeh, the Bordeaux red wines aren't too shabby either... ;)