Re: [linux-audio-user] distros

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] distros
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 00:48:41 EEST

Hallo,
David M hat gesagt: // David M wrote:

> One point though if somebody knows how to set global environment variables
> that work within the point and click environment within kde (.profile doesnt
> seem to work) I certainly would like to know.

You might try to add those to /etc/environment as KEY=VALUE pairs,
then add something like this to ~/.xsession and /etc/profile:

# If /etc/environment is present, source it. It's useful to put default
# environment settings in this file, and then source it both here and in
# /etc/profile.
if [ -f /etc/environment ] ; then
  . /etc/environment
 for n in `grep -v ^# /etc/environment | cut -s -d= -f1` ; do export $n; done
fi

# I also use this for my own env:
#
# if [ -f $HOME/.environment ] ; then
# . $HOME/.environment
# for n in `grep -v ^# $HOME/.environment | cut -s -d= -f1` ; do export $n; done
# fi

I never used KDE, but I assume, it uses ~/.xsession or something similar
as well. It should honour /etc/profile at least.

Ciao