Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for howto to control audioplayer with footswitch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for howto to control audioplayer with footswitch
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 04:16:30 EEST

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:57, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:07:17 +0200
> Jürgen Schöneberg <jschoeni_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > hej!
> >
> > I 'm looking for a linux software to play soundfiles controlled by
> > a footswitch on the serial port. (just possible to control start, rewind,
> > stop) .
> >
> > Usually I'm using jack/ardour but haven't seen the possibility to use a
> > footswitch to control the software.
> >
> > Even a howto for using a footswitch as an input device for a perl script would
> > be very helpful.
> >
> > Any ideas?

I do this in Ardour but with midi. I use an old Digitech RP10 guitar fx
processor with midi capabilities. I can use program change data (either
0 up to 127) and if I assign midi to a fader, it sees it as a level. So
127 = loudest and 0 = off. Not the intent of PC midi but works anyway.
There are cheap midi foot controllers out there. I use the volume pedal
on CC 10 and assign to one fader in the Ardour mixer for live use.