Re: [linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 15:06:45 EEST

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:01:47 -0400
Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com> wrote:

> The consensus was that the mouse wheel is the only intuitive way to
> control a knob with a mouse. The people who disagreed probably don't
> have a mouse wheel.

I have a mouse with a mousewheel and i don't agree. A mousewheel is not a continous controller and therefor has limits when using it for twidling knobs. If the discrete steps are to wide, then large motions are easy on a knob, but fine tuning is impossible. If the discrete steps are fine enough for fine tuning, then large adjustments are time and mouse wheel consuming :). I suppose this problem can be tackled by either usage of modifier keys and/or non linear behaviour.. But to say that mousewheels are the consensus is imho far fetched...

Regards,
 Florian Schmidt

--
Palimm Palimm!