Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] it's so quiet...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] it's so quiet...
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 15:14:51 EEST

Joe Button wrote:

>>We don't have much in the way of friendly fish
>>icons, unless you count PHP?s porpoise (not a fish)
>>

>AFAIK PHP's logo is a boring bevelled elipse thing. MySQL has a dolphin.
>
>I would think songbirds were the obvious choice for music apps?

Regarding porpoises, dolphins, and musicians, this from a moment's googling:

# According to one Greek myth, the musician named Arion was the greatest
singer who ever existed. He was the court musician for the King of
Corinth, Periander. So great was Arion's fame that he made a tour of
Sicily.

    During his visit to Sicily he was awarded many prizes and given gold
and much money. Now the crew of the vessel waiting to take Arion back
to Corinth knew of his newly acquired wealth. They plotted to steal it
from him and then cast him into the sea sometime during the return
voyage. In a dream, Arion was informed by Apollo of the plot against
his life. When the time came and the murderous crew made their move,
Arion made one last request--that he be permitted to sing a farewell
song. The crew could see no danger in that and agreed. So he dressed
in his finest court garments and stood on the bow of the ship and began
to sing. So sweet was his song that sea creatures of many kinds
surrounded the ship to listen. Among them was a school of dolphins.
    Arion saw that the dolphins seemed very pleased with his song and
just before he reached the end of it he plunged overboard amid the
dolphins. One of the animals caught him before he struck the water and
raced off with him towards Corinth. It was with great difficulty that
Arion hung on, so swift was the dolphin's course through the sea. The
startled crew looked on helplessly and believed that surly Arion would
fall off the dolphin and drown.
    But the dolphin safely carried Arion to Corinth. Arion told the
king of the crew's plot and when the vessel docked, Periander was
waiting for them. The crew said that Arion had decided to remain in
Sicily, so great was the wealth he had acquired there. When Arion
stepped into view and the crew saw him, they were so terrified they
confessed their plot. King Periander crucified them to the last man.
So pleased was Apollo with the good dolphin's role in rescuing Arion
that the god gave the dolphin a place among the stars.