Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware
From: Rick B (zajelo3_AT_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 01:36:31 EEST

Matthew Barber wrote:

>This might not be an appropriate place to ask this question, but I've
>gotten help here before on a number of things...
>

>So I have an Athlon XP 2500+ and a DFI motherboard with the nvidia
>nforce2 chipset. I have run it for almost a year, and it has been rock
>solid under linux (not as much under Windows), red hat 9 and planet
>ccrma kernel/drivers/software -- 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma. RME hdsp
>multiface, and um... 2x512MB Crucial unbuffered DDR400. Great, except -
>I have never been able to set the appropriate bus clock in the BIOS
>without linux becoming COMPLETELY unstable. If I set it to the
>published specs (166Mhz bus, x11 multiplier == 1.83Ghz), I usually can't
>even get through the linux boot process; if it makes it through the boot
>process, it will usually hang at the NVIDIA screen, or at the signin...
>if it makes it past that, I can sign in, do a few things in a shell, but
>then after about 2 minutes at most, the system freezes. And we're
>talking about a hard freeze - no ctl-alt-del, no ctl-alt-backspace, no
>response at all. Windows runs as fine as it ever has. The only way I
>can get linux to run stably is to underclock the system at 100Mhz, which
>puts my CPU clock at a wimpy 1.1Ghz. Setting the multiplier higher than
>11 but maintaining the 100Mhz bus clock results in the same problem. I
>thought for a moment that the memory clock and the bus clock weren't
>syncing, so I set them in 1:1 ratio - linux still hates it at any
>frequency. You can lock AGP at 66Mhz, still nothing doing. This is a
>board and proc combo that has been renowned for mega overclocking - I
>shouldn't have to underclock it to have things run right. Windows runs
>fine so I'm wondering if it's not a problem in my kernel or distro
>rather than the bios or hardware. I have not as yet tried to boot
>another kernel, but I will tomorrow when my mind is clear (I just
>started trying to fix it today, and I'm weary). Any ideas about it, or
>about where I could read to fix it?
>
>Thanks, Matt

    I run almost the same setup, except I have a Asus A7N8X mobo with
the Athlon 2500 overclocked to 2100Mhz @ 200Mhz fsb on Fedora with the
CCRMA 2.4.26-1.ll kernel. The problem I always run into is that my
setup will not run the low latency (ll) "athlon" kernel without locking
up like you described. I have found that if I manually install the i686
kernel and ALSA from the CCRMA rpms, it will boot just fine and is very
stable. In other words don't use apt-get to install the kernel and ALSA
because it will always pick the Athlon versions. I haven't found any
problems using apt-get after the kernel,alsa rpm installation, although
when a new kernel comes out you do have to install it manually.

                    Rick B