Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] good studio monitors

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] good studio monitors
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 20:45:40 /etc/localtime

R Parker wrote:
<SNIP>
> I think one other issue is wave cancelation but I'm
> not so sure about this. Assume a 12 foot long room
> with source against one wall. Cancelation will occur
> where the waves meet which is at six feet. So, you
> don't want to locate the mixing chair in the
> cancelation zone.

<SNIP>
Very true, actually, assuming you have a frequency that is a multiple of
the room length.

One other problem I ran into recently was cancellation caused by
monitors sitting on my mixing desk. Please excuse the ASCII art:

                             =
Monitor =
******** =
* * =
* * =
* * =
* * )========================== My ears
* * = =
* * = =
* * = =

Basically the path difference between thes two paths causes a
cancelation at certain frequencies. Due to this you get a comb filter
effect happening and things start sound bad.

My experience is that speakers work much better if they are placed on
stands, moved away from walls and located in such a way that you can
guarantee that the major portion of the audio you are hearing is all
direct. Not an easy task, but a good goal...

- Mark