Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake Packages

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake Packages
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 07:07:47 EEST

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:25 -0900, ejbjr wrote:
> Is it even possible to download a Mandrake RPM?

You should never have to.
man urpmi

> Every time I try to download an audio package from a Mandrake repository
> it complains that I don't have the necessary dependency packages
> installed on my internet machine, and asks me to insert one of more of
> the Mandrake 9.2 discs into my cdrom drive.

urpmi again

> Is there any way to download these packages so I can burn them to a CD
> and bring them home to my audio machine?

Sure. Just download and burn them. But don't expect packages build for
Mandrake 10 to run properly on 9.2 or whatever.

> Or maybe repackage them from
> the installed copy?

no.

> My audio machine at home is not on the internet, and never will be due
> to the presence of unreleased audio tracks - no network connection is
> the most reliable firewall ever created.

You could copy all the rpms you need to a CD or DVD, then run
gendistrib, then urpmi.addmedia, and you could use it to install RPMs on
any machine.

Austin