[linux-audio-user] Re: Room Acoustics

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Room Acoustics
From: ejbjr (ejbjr_AT_themusenashville.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 10:46:59 EEST

>> I think one other issue is wave cancelation but I'm
>> not so sure about this. Assume a 12 foot long room
>> with source against one wall. Cancelation will occur
>> where the waves meet which is at six feet. So, you
>> don't want to locate the mixing chair in the
>> cancelation zone.
>>
> <SNIP>
> Very true, actually, assuming you have a frequency that is a multiple
> of the room length.

Wall to wall reflections tend to disperse.
Most room resonences are corner to corner (in a box-like room).
Sound behaves a lot like light in a three-way right angle corner -
It comes back out the same direction it went in, just like those
three way mirrors they use to reflect laser beams back from the moon.
Most studios these days try to avoid any right-angle corners.

e. j. branagan
The MUSE - Nashville, TN