Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware
From: Matthew Barber (brbrofsvl_AT_aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 18:33:07 EEST

->I looked through your manual and I think you can't really go any
higher
without doing anything that could be considered overclocking *shrug*.
You could for example up your fsb to 75 mhz but your memory and
everything else may not like it. Don't blame me if you blow up your
computer.<-

Be careful doing something like that, especially with old boards. I
think setting the fsb clock to "no man's land" will set the pci clock
(and AGP if you have AGP on your board) to something unusable, unless
BIOS locks the PCI/AGP clock to a certain range of values. PCI
generally wants to run at about 33Mhz (unless you have a very new board
with PCI-X or some such), and AGP at 66Mhz, and these values will
generally be a fraction of the fsb. So if your fsb is 66Mhz, PCI will
be 1/2FSB. If it's 100Mhz, PCI will be 1/3. Setting it to 75Mhz may
cause it to still be in the 66Mhz realm as far as the division is
concerned, and set PCI to around 38Mhz, which may cause a lot of
problems. I know some BIOS will take care of this by locking AGP and
PCI to a certain value, but I wouldn't count on it with an older
board/bios.

I see no problem with 100Mhz if your processor and memory both support
it. Before fooling around with stuff, make sure you know how to clear
your CMOS (on most boards there's a little jumper, I think) to the
default values, in case you set it to something that doesn't even allow
your bios to start.