Re: [linux-audio-user] RME finally does Firewire...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME finally does Firewire...
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 19:41:27 EEST

Robert Jonsson wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 17.16, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Maybe this is old news that I missed, but it looks like RME is doing it
>>right. 56 channel unit. 24-bit, 192KHz, 4 mic pre's, 2 ADAT, S800 1394b
>>with 1394 hub.
>>
>>http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm
>

> Looks really shiny, must be brand new.

$1799 list. Probably about $1400 street once the shineyness wears off
just a bit. (It always takes that amount of time before there's Linux
support anyway...)

>>This would make a really nice using for someone to build a remote
>>recording around.
>

> Ohh yes :)
>
>>Too bad that there isn't more going on with 1394-based audio under
>>Linux. This unit and Ardour would be fun...
>

> What happened to the get together with Yamaha that was going to happen some
> time this summer? Has it occured, did I dream it?
>
> I wonder if RME, being rather Linux friendly, have something to add to the
> overall support level.

That's a good question. Maybe I should check out what the RME forums are
saying about it and see what RME themselves is doing. this will be the
typical chicken & egg problem. No support since no one owns one. No one
buys one since there's no support. Too bad. Looks like a great box for
an Ardour user.

- Mark