Re: [linux-audio-user] live music with linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] live music with linux
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 14:01:10 EEST

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 13:55, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> My gig at that time went very smooth, except for having to fix an
> annoying ground loop by unplugging the power chord (DI box didn't
> help).

I had hardware issues too, although this was caused by a soldering
problem that took a few minutes to find. the setup for 100 headphones
and 4 performance spaces was pretty complex...

> I did only use Pd in OSS mode to a Terratec USB device, no jack
> or whatever. For me just having one single point of failure in Pd was
> an important thing. As nice as freqtweak and jack and all these things
> are, combined they could be risky. With my gig, as long as Pd kept up
> nothing really could break.

I'd rehersed with jack a lot to make sure it was up to it - indeed, I
don't think I could have got the solid results without it. Next time I
think I'll slot in some midi controlled effects, but it will all need a
lot of testing.

> And I had hammered Pd while rehearsing for
> the concert so I knew it would probably not crash with the patch I
> used.

pd was used by a few other performers - a few of us were practising live
programming (http://www.toplap.org) (me through simply coding lsystem
rules live) one of the pd performers managed to write an infinite loop
into his pd patch that produced a pleasing squeal for a few seconds :)

> BTW: to a traditionally trained musician like me it still feels
> strange to do "laptop rehearsals". ;)

yeah, we need more tactile interfaces I think.

> Oh: Dave, wonderful concert, very cool music. You should apply for
> releases on major netlabels like Monotonik. ;)

cheers!