Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 14:16:40 EEST

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:54:47 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote
> Hallo,
> Dave Robillard hat gesagt: // Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > I'm designing a modular synth engine, and would like to get some input
> > on desired features/abilities to make sure it's designed in a way that
> > will make it the most flexible.
> >
> > So, what features are important to you in a synth? What annoys you
> > about the current crop of linux synths?
>
> The most important feature of a modular synth is IMO a way to build
> reusable building blocks. Think functions or objects in programming
> languages. You may want to take a look at how this is implemented in
> Pd amd jMax. Without this a modular synth will become unusable almost
> immediatly. Be prepared for users which want to create hundreds of
> modules, this is not unusual at all.

I would contest (as I always do) that a modular synth is not equivalent to a
node based programming language. They are different things. It's nice to be
able to group modular units together into voices that you can reuse later, but
I don't see ladspa plugins being the same as pd externals at all.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's useful, but lacking this feature in a
synth does not make it unusable.

cheers,

dave