Re: [linux-audio-user] Running 2 soundcards...One Delta1010LT for Jack audio, SBlive5.1 for midi??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Running 2 soundcards...One Delta1010LT for Jack audio, SBlive5.1 for midi??
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 03:15:44 EEST

On Friday 30 July 2004 05:03 pm, Andrew Dahlin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:23:06 -0700
>
> Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan_AT_starband.net> wrote:
> > Have a question...
> >
> > I'm trying to move ever towards eliminating Winblows. I have to come up
> > with a *bullet proof* method of running a solid midi seq alongside the
> > Delta for my fx and live audio processing.
> >
> > None of the midi apps out there seem to work very well with softsynths
> > used for the GM instrument set. Fluidsynth, etc has it's issues and so
> > on. I don't own any hardware modules and don't want to if I dont have
> > to. I have been using Roland Virtual sound canvas, Yamaha sy-xg,
> > wingroove, Edirol Hypercanvas, etc on Win XP with Sonar for this
> > function and it works well.
> >
> > I'm wondering, how might I run a SBlive next to the Delta and not have
> > them conflict. I guess I would have to run the SBlive in the OSS layer?
> > Then suffer from realtime issues again? Point being in previous
> > experimentation, the SBlive with a sound font loaded, at least behaves
> > more like an actual piece of hardware...It might play a little nicer
> > with Muse or Rosegarden...
> >
> > R~
>
> i have my onboard sound card (ens1371) running at the same time as my
> audiophile card. both are using alsa and i run jack ontop of my audiophile.
> it's pretty easy to do and i'm not sure why more people don't do it.

Actually, the ens1371 is a particularly bad card for/good example of
maintaining sync at the sample level.
The (at least the one I have) ens1371 has a bug where the sample rate is one
short (or long, I forget) on the capture side.
The result is when you play back a large audio file at 44.1 it's not the right
length. The difference over an hour is about 2 seconds.