[linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

Subject: [linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 17:34:18 EEST

I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.26, and now I can't play
sounds. Any time I try, the program just hangs until I ^C out of it.
No messages appear in /var/log/messages, or on the console.

I have a Debian unstable system with an SBLive soundcard. (There's
also a sound system on the motherboard, but that never confused it
before.)

I have in the past managed to run Alsa, but getting it installed has
never been fun, so since I'm only doing fairly simple-minded things
like playing MIDI and having card sounds on my solitaire game, I've
been just running OSS.

I can't see anything wrong with the permissions on the /dev files, or
with the list of modules that's being loaded. I just uploaded the
latest version of that kernel-image, and the July 22 version has the
same problem as the May 1 version.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to try next?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011