Re: [linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 20:19:52 EEST

Hallo,
Laura Conrad hat gesagt: // Laura Conrad wrote:

> Laura> I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.26, and now I can't
> Laura> play sounds. Any time I try, the program just hangs until
> Laura> I ^C out of it. No messages appear in /var/log/messages,
> Laura> or on the console.
>
> Progress, but still no sound.
>
> I removed the module for the motherboard soundcard (via82cxxx_audio),
> and re-probed the emu10k1 module, and using sound no longer hangs;
> timidity sits there for about as long as it should to play the MIDI
> file, but I still don't hear any sound. The mixer has the volume set
> at 100% and my speaker is turned up to maximum. (So it will be pretty
> loud when I finally get it working.)

You're running the OSS drivers. You don't want to do this. Some ways
out include:

1) You follow Tim's advice to install the AGNUlA kernel.

2) You install kernel 2.6 which includes ALSA. (It's what I do, although
I always compile my own kernel.)

3) you build your own kernel as well.

4) You stay with Debian's packages and install the package "alsa-modules"
which matches your installed kernel package. apt-get will take care
that the right one gets installed.

I would recommend to do 4) first, its the easiest way.
"apt-cache search alsa-modules " shows the available packages, "dpkg -l
kernel-image\* " will show what kernel package you are running.

You can probably reuse your old alsa configuration with the new
kernel.

Ciao