Re: [linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 14:24:46 EEST

Last Wednesday 04 August 2004 16:08, Laura Conrad was like:
> Thanks to everyone who wrote with helpful advice.
>
> I have tried most of the suggestions, and am still getting no sound.

Oh dear :(

> I tried booting back to 2.4.l8, and it doesn't play sound now
> either. I tried removing the alsa apps and going back to oss,
> which really used to work. It doesn't now, but it isn't clear
> that I really removed all the alsa stuff, although the loaded
> modules look like the oss ones to me. This version gives me an
> error message when I try to play a MIDI file:
>
> $ timidity score.midi
> Couldn't open output device

ALSA drivers are all named snd-[something] - in your case snd-sb[something]
look in /lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/alsa/ or any of the others,
there's a directory for each kernel.

> I have some questions, none of which may be relevant, but I really
> need sound to work:
>
> I believe that via82cxxx_audio is the module for the soundcard
> that's on the motherboard, which I don't want to use. Why does
> it keep loading it, even though I have told the bios to turn it
> off? And how do I make it stop loading this module?
>
> /proc/interrupts reports that both the SB-Live and the onboard
> sound are sharing interrupt 9. Is this likely to be causing
> problems?

This suggests that you haven't actually disabled the onboard via82cxxxx - It
shouldn't be a problem if it's really not being used, but then it shouldn't
show up in /proc/interrupts either in that case.

> Does anyone have any idea what changed between kernel 2.4.18,
> when OSS sound worked, and 2.4.25 when it doesn't?

I think the OSS modules were removed from the multimedia version of the kernel
because they caused too much configuration confusion. They should be there in
the other sets of modules.

I don't know about 2.6.x kernels.

> Is there anything else I should be trying?

Checklist:
/etc/group - check you are in 'audio' group (may be 'sound' instead)
/dev/dsp* /dev/mixer* /dev/cdrom* etc. - check these are set to the correct
group also. [5]
/etc/alsa/modutils/1.0 - check this has the right settings for the soundcard
you want to use [4].
~/.asoundrc - details at [4] again.
Make sure the volume is turned up on your mixer and theoretically you should
have sound. You may need to log out & back in again before these settings
take effect.

HTH

tim hall

Useful links: