Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 20:35:05 EEST

> From what I see on the CCRMA site. looks like they stay as current as
> possible...I think apt is what they use? Is it relatively free from
> dependency hell with lots of server repositories?...

> What about Suse packages?

If you install the pacages that come with SuSE (tons and tons... and
huge variety), you may never have a problem. Only several times (in 5
years using SuSE) have I found a program to not install correctly. *All*
dependencies are met. And it even lists what dependencies are being
installed *along* with the original program.

... Oh yea... I forgot... you have to click "accept" to install (hehe).
Don't forget to click "accept" (hehe)

Most of the (non) audio apps I've been using are out of the box. But
don't underestimate how much (audio) work you can get done if you have
other things in place. Audio is my primary activiy, but that spills into
writing a front end... which spills into needing a good text editor for
writing the tcl/tk scripts... which spills into creating buttons and
images for the front end... And all I need to do all of (the above) came
with SuSE.

I'm looking in the directory were I build new programs. They are mostly
audio apps. But there's a lot of programs that came with SuSE that will
probly not need to be updated... there's gui "port connectors" like
kaconnect (for midi connections), QJackConnect (for jack connections)
and other smaller (but time saving) progams that are ready to go. All
those are run out of the box. Oh... so does QJackCtrl for easy starting,
stopping and configuring of jack parimeters.

The irony is that when it came time to write a script that extracts
information from an aconnect command, having kaconnect at my fingertips
helped familiarize me with how things work with the alsa sequencer
ports. It didn't make me lazy. It just helped gave me an important
window to look into to get a grasp on the alsa sequencer ports. Even man
pages make sence to me (hehe).

I'm not a fanatic about this. I just want you to know one person's
experience with a certain distrob.

Rocco