Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio MidiSport 2x4?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio MidiSport 2x4?
From: Chris Pickett (chris.pickett_AT_mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 06:14:51 EEST

noise floor wrote:
> Hello again! I think I should have been more specific. I haven't seen
> any mention of the MidiSport 2x4 anywhere. I've seen that the 2x2,
> 4x4, etc. are all supported, but the 2x4 is really cheap ($50) from a
> couple of places, so I was interested in that one in particular... but
> I haven't seen a yay or nay for it.
>
> Failing that, I think I will find myself with a MidiSport 4x4.
>
> Ah, I found on the USB MIDI firmware sourceforge site
> (http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/) a reference to the 2x4, saying it
> doesn't need firmware loading. Neat-o.

Yeah, I think you missed my second post, the ALSA driver appears to
support the 2x4.

> Aside, I thought I read somewhere that the MidiSports use USB 1.1. Is
> this true, and does it even really matter for MIDI timing? Does having
> other devices on other USB ports effect timing at all?

I don't think it matters for MIDI -- I looked at some numbers at one
point and concluded that 1.1 would be enough for a large number of MIDI
devices. If you had other USB devices sending a lot of data (e.g.
audio) and they were all on the same 1.1 bus, yes they would probably
compete. But for a mouse, pc keyboard, and the MidiSport, I think you'd
be fine. No promises! :)

Cheers,
Chris