Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 release
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 13:34:22 EEST

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:48:42 +0200, derek holzer wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> Jack O'Quin wrote:
> >The second stable release (0.9.0) of JAMin - the JACK Audio Mastering
> >interface is now available for download.
>
> Great news! Thanks mucho! I haven't downloaded the new one yet, but I
> wonder if you could tell me if any of your bug-fixes relate to denormal
> numbers? Like a lot of Linux audio apps, I have trouble with massive CPU
> leaps using the previous Jamin on my 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 that don't exist
> on my 2 GHz Athlon XP box. Would the culprits be in Jamin, or in the
> plugins used?

JAMin has some denormal killing code that protects it from denormals
coming in from outside. Its possible a small number could be generated
internally, it shouldn't happen often though. None of the plugin have
feedback loops or filters AFAICR, so they shouldn't cause denormals.

Try connecting a jack bitscope to one output and see if the denormal
counter increases: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njl98r/code/ladspa/

- Steve