Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 12:33:11 EEST

>> Maybe I'm confused about this. When I think of "audio distrobs" like
>> Planet, I picture wipeing out my hard drive and having just a
>> dedicated recording environment. But do these run along side an
>> established distrob (like debian, redhat...)? Do they coexist with them?
>> Rocco

> Hello Rocco,
>
> Has anybody mentioned this other idea yet?
>
> Using GRUB for the boot loader, you can have multiple Linux systems on
> your computer. This allows you to have a general Linux system for
> non-music topics, and a dedicated Linux system for the music.

> Regards,
> Stephen.

Thanks for replying Stephen. I have way too many projects going which is
the reason I read your carefully put together information so quickly.
I've come across all the ideas you presented at different point since
I've been working with Linux/Audio. It just boils down to having too
many choices (what a great problem to have).

I would love to have several distrobs in a multi booting system. I think
the reason I've invested so much time with SuSE is that I've already
Invested so much time in learning it's ways. It's getting to the point
were (maybe) I've finally found the all around set-up that works for all
situations. The problem is compounded by the fact that I'm (not) running
the system (I) want to run because my (ultimate) goal is to be able to
set up all this great stuff for other people. And everyone I know runs
Windows. I need to be able to present them with what they know.

I just spent 2 days tweeking KDE and shutting off any unnessesary
services and configuring Konqueror to be able to take advantage of the
(many) features without creating a distracting mess. I almost gave up
and went back to FVWM2. But I've invested this much time in having one
system that works all around.

If I'm serious about setting up a audio workstations (for people that
have not known anything other than Windows), then it will have to be an
effective "general use" computer *and* have a solid, stable recording
environment. I say that because most people aren't oriented like any of
us on this list. I don't even know anyone that's even heard the term...
"Duel-booting".

Once I acheive these goals, then maybe I will put my focus to just
setting up dedicated audio workstations. Then I will have FluxBox, or
FVWM2 that will boot right into the workstation.

Thanks again,
Rocco