[linux-audio-user] I'm tired of being a moron

Subject: [linux-audio-user] I'm tired of being a moron
From: Mark Wilson (mrmoo1231_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 18:17:54 EEST

I'm relatively new to the audio on Linux scene, and
admittedly don't have near the best equipment to do
anything serious, but I'd at least like to hear some
sounds of out of the synth and/or MIDI sequencing
software on my Agnula distro. I don't have an
external keyboard, so I'm limited to writing the score
with rosegarden or lilypond. I'd like to edit the
MIDI sequences I produce with something like muse, but
I can't figure out how to hear what changes I make
*from within muse*. I don't have an on-board
sequencer (/dev/sequencer is never recognized or
accessible, which is no surprise, really) on my card.

I thought I'd try using timidity with the -iA option,
and when I do that, then try to play a midi file from
within muse, muse crashes.

I just wanna' figure out how to do two things:
1) tweak my midi sequences for timing, rubato,
expression, using somethink like muse or rosegarden,
and be able to hear what I've done by clicking the
play button(s) provided

2) create my own timbres using some of the
cool-looking synth software, that I can't figure out
how to hear whether I've made any changes or created
any new patches.

The subject line says it all, really. ;-)
Thanks for any help you can give the clueless...
Mark

=====

--
Seek professional help!  Ask a librarian.