Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 22:53:19 EEST

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

>*FANFARE* Dave...oh Dave...I have news.... :)
>
>So I figured I'd try to run the actual HyperCanvas installer because it
>looked like Wine needed a registry entry for the .dll. I tried regsvr32
>prior to and it did not work....So I ran the whole installer...it
>actually ran all the way thru without a glitch. (still as root)
>
>It got done and i thought "what the hell, we'll try it again" So as
>root, I ran jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/Hypercanvas.dll {I changed the
>case on "c" for ease of entry}..
>
>And ...Violah! The bugger popped up on the screen!!! Has Jack audio
>ports and midi port in "connect" window of qjackctl and all!

A few things to note:

    You should really try to get all this stuff happening as normal
user, it's much safer. You will not be able to run your plugins as
normal user if they have only root permissions, I checked it by copying
the HC dll as root and trying to run it as normal user. I got the same
error you were getting ("can't load plugin HyperCanvas.dll").

    Command completion is your friend. ;)

    You can save and load connection maps via qjackctl's patchbay. Check
it out, it's a very cool feature.

>Is it not amazing how a geek can get so jubilant over a piece of bloody
>software!! ;)

Something to do with how we're wired...

>I have not had a chance to try running it yet but later tonight I will
>"road test" it...
>
>Not sure if I'm all the way there yet but this is a landmark improvement
>obviously. Would still like to see if I can run it as user under 2.6.7
>with lsm, etc.

Let us know how it goes. I'm not running a 2.6 kernel yet so cannot be
of any assistance there.

>Hey...thanks a bloody great bunch for your help thus far Dave! YOur a
>trooper!!! And I appreciate your persistence greatly! THis is a first
>for me on anything VST~

You're quite welcome, I hope you get sound in your tests.

Well, I've learned that I need to add some comments re: file permissions
in the VST/VSTi quick toot so I guess it's time to update it again. What
a pain...

Best,

dp