Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 22:49:01 EEST

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 12:53, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> >*FANFARE* Dave...oh Dave...I have news.... :)
> >
> >So I figured I'd try to run the actual HyperCanvas installer because it
> >looked like Wine needed a registry entry for the .dll. I tried regsvr32
> >prior to and it did not work....So I ran the whole installer...it
> >actually ran all the way thru without a glitch. (still as root)
> >
> >It got done and i thought "what the hell, we'll try it again" So as
> >root, I ran jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/Hypercanvas.dll {I changed the
> >case on "c" for ease of entry}..
> >
> >And ...Violah! The bugger popped up on the screen!!! Has Jack audio
> >ports and midi port in "connect" window of qjackctl and all!
> >
> A few things to note:
>
> You should really try to get all this stuff happening as normal
> user, it's much safer. You will not be able to run your plugins as
> normal user if they have only root permissions, I checked it by copying
> the HC dll as root and trying to run it as normal user. I got the same
> error you were getting ("can't load plugin HyperCanvas.dll").
>
> Command completion is your friend. ;)
>
> You can save and load connection maps via qjackctl's patchbay. Check
> it out, it's a very cool feature.
>
> >Is it not amazing how a geek can get so jubilant over a piece of bloody
> >software!! ;)
> >
> Something to do with how we're wired...
>
> >I have not had a chance to try running it yet but later tonight I will
> >"road test" it...
> >
> >Not sure if I'm all the way there yet but this is a landmark improvement
> >obviously. Would still like to see if I can run it as user under 2.6.7
> >with lsm, etc.
> >
> Let us know how it goes. I'm not running a 2.6 kernel yet so cannot be
> of any assistance there.
>
> >Hey...thanks a bloody great bunch for your help thus far Dave! YOur a
> >trooper!!! And I appreciate your persistence greatly! THis is a first
> >for me on anything VST~
> >
> You're quite welcome, I hope you get sound in your tests.
>
> Well, I've learned that I need to add some comments re: file permissions
> in the VST/VSTi quick toot so I guess it's time to update it again. What
> a pain...

Dave,

Before you do that, let me work on this a bit. I'm convinced the
permissions are an issue but then I ran Crystal, I did it in the same
manner I had been running HyperCanvas, except as root. That would
indicate the permissions as root only thing...but it does not cover the
HyperCanvas wine registry thing...

I will try all of these options later today/tonight. I'll let you know
what I find.

Thanks again!!

R~