Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 03:06:20 EEST

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 12:53, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> >*FANFARE* Dave...oh Dave...I have news.... :)
> >
> >So I figured I'd try to run the actual HyperCanvas installer because it
> >looked like Wine needed a registry entry for the .dll. I tried regsvr32
> >prior to and it did not work....So I ran the whole installer...it
> >actually ran all the way thru without a glitch. (still as root)
> >
> >It got done and i thought "what the hell, we'll try it again" So as
> >root, I ran jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/Hypercanvas.dll {I changed the
> >case on "c" for ease of entry}..
> >
> >And ...Violah! The bugger popped up on the screen!!! Has Jack audio
> >ports and midi port in "connect" window of qjackctl and all!
> >
> A few things to note:
>
> You should really try to get all this stuff happening as normal
> user, it's much safer. You will not be able to run your plugins as
> normal user if they have only root permissions, I checked it by copying
> the HC dll as root and trying to run it as normal user. I got the same
> error you were getting ("can't load plugin HyperCanvas.dll").
>
> Command completion is your friend. ;)
>
> You can save and load connection maps via qjackctl's patchbay. Check
> it out, it's a very cool feature.
>
> >Is it not amazing how a geek can get so jubilant over a piece of bloody
> >software!! ;)
> >
> Something to do with how we're wired...
>
> >I have not had a chance to try running it yet but later tonight I will
> >"road test" it...
> >
> >Not sure if I'm all the way there yet but this is a landmark improvement
> >obviously. Would still like to see if I can run it as user under 2.6.7
> >with lsm, etc.
> >
> Let us know how it goes. I'm not running a 2.6 kernel yet so cannot be
> of any assistance there.
>
> >Hey...thanks a bloody great bunch for your help thus far Dave! YOur a
> >trooper!!! And I appreciate your persistence greatly! THis is a first
> >for me on anything VST~
> >
> You're quite welcome, I hope you get sound in your tests.
>
> Well, I've learned that I need to add some comments re: file permissions
> in the VST/VSTi quick toot so I guess it's time to update it again. What
> a pain...
>
> Best,
>
> dp

I got the user side working although I still had to do an install from
the Windows Hypercanvas setup file in Wine...

I have had Sonar (CakeWalk) externally hooked up via a midisport 2x2 usb
to my Delta1010 midi in port in. Essentially using Sonar as _just_ my
sequencer. I hook the ports up in "Connect" in qjackctl and Vrooom! Shes
a cookin'!! Sounds like it oughta. It's even better actually because on
a hard midi port in Sonar you can use an instrument definition file like
GS or whatever an Hyper Canvas is receiving all the data...volumes,
velocities, PC, CC, etc. As you had stated in the beggining, the redraw
is a bit sluggish, further enhanced by the fact that I'm running it
remotely thru X-win32 to my laptop...

So it's up! By golly...

BUT... :)

It runs for a short while...a couple of songs and then "blips" off the
radar with;

"The program 'jack_fst' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 16653680 error_code 1 request_code 0 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
[oz_AT_fx oz]$ "

Any idea what this might be? As I said, I run X on a remote machine
thru XDMCP. It's on a closed network so I have absolute minimal security
settings. I'm presently running in KDE 3.2 for ease of use but I usually
use IceWM or fluxbox or even XFCE4 sometimes. KDE is a bloody memory hog
amongst other things.

My rig is an Asus A7VX something with Ath. XP 2500, 512MB DDR, and a Via
chipset (KT400 i think) with no ACIP. No graphics except welcome screen
running on Display :0.

If I can get this thing stable, I'm gonna use it Saturday. Sound in
Hyper Canvas just ROX!

I'm running it all under IceWM right now to see if it's re creatable.

Cheers
R~