Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user] [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 releas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user] [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 releas
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 23:06:43 EEST

davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net wrote:
> Perhaps something more basic should be said about JAMin versus DX/VST
> plugins and that is that JAMin is NOT A PLUGIN. Yes, it can be used
> in that manner, but that isn't what it is designed for.

Dave,
    It's possible that part of the picture is that in the Windows/Mac
Pro Tools area the Waves tools (and others that I don't use) that
provide much the same function as Jamin ARE plugins. (See Waves Masters
suite of tools.) Some people use this strategy, and others use tools
like Sound Forge as a post processor, like Jamin is today.

    Both models are pretty common really.

    Supporting your point, though, I don't know of a single tool that
operates in both modes. Sound Forge isn't a plugin and something like
the very new Waves L3 UltraMAximizer/MultiMaximizer doesn't run in
stand-alone mode.

    (Wanna see a CPU hungry plugin then give the L3 a try!) ;-)

- Mark