Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 02:19:50 EEST

On Monday 09 August 2004 01:13 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 12:54, Rick B wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Is there a way to keep cron jobs from running while doing audio
> > work? I mean heaven forbid I'm doing something at 4am and cron wants to
> > prelink and update the database.
>
> On RH/Fedora:
>
> /sbin/service cron stop
>
> Maybe it's crond, don't have a RH box handy.
>
> Lee

You can actually cron that. Depending on whether you shut it down at the end
of the day or not you can cron it to shut down _or_ cron it to set up an `at`
job to restart cron before it shuts itself down.
heres the flow:
cron >sets up an at job, then shuts itself down
                                   \ at > restarts cron later

For completeness sake: at is like cron but it's a one shot deal instead of
regularly scheduled

The paths here are for Debian but, make a little shell script to start cron
via the initscript

#! /bin/sh
# cronstart - to be called by 'at' so we don't have to remember to do it.
/etc/init.d/cron start

Then to kick it off at 3:55 am set up a crontab like this

# m h d.o.m. mon. d.o.w. user command
55 3 * * * root at now + 4 hours -f
$absolute_path_to_cronstart_script && sleep 10 && /etc/init.d/cron stop

(should all be on one line)