Re: [linux-audio-user] I'm tired of being a moron

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] I'm tired of being a moron
From: Mark Wilson (mrmoo1231_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 16:51:08 EEST

> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:50:15 -0400
> From: John Check <j4strngs_AT_bitless.net>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] I'm tired of being a
> moron
> To: A list for linux audio users
> <linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu>
>

> You are correct, Sir. Your best option with that
> card and MusE are the
> softsynths.
> Unfortunately, that chipset is really not good for
> duplex operation, or even
> overdubbing.
> The problem is (at least on any one I've had any
> truck with) the sample rate
> is off by 1 on the capture side. Playback is
> 44.1kHz. The net effect is your
> program length will be off by about 2 seconds for
> every hour.

OK, sorry to be doling out info pieces at a time.
This morning I tried starting muse from a term window
after starting timidity -iA

As soon as I try to import a midi file, the muse
display starts to lose all its buttons and the menus
don't respond and all the areas of the window turn
into useless blocks of nonresponsive vague colored
areas-- you know the look.
I checked the term window for messages and saw only:

open projectfile: No such file or directory
no JACK audio server found
NO Config File </root/.MusE>
ALSA: samplerate 44100 not available, using 44099
cca_open_socket: could not connect to host
'localhost', service '14541'
cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' -
disabling ladcca

After killing it, I decided to try at least
'touch /root/.MusE'
knowing that an empty config file really wasn't going
to do the trick, but I thought maybe if there was
somewhere for Muse to starting recording settings,
that seemed as good as anything.

At one point this morning I *did* succeed in getting
muse to load the midi file without crashing, even
though I still heard nothing. (yes, I've checked my
mixer settings--no channels muted, and everything at
least at non-zero).
This "success" came after messing around with what I
think is qjackctl, trying to hook up the ens1371 in
the left column with one of the timidity ports in the
right column.

When I pressed the play button in muse, I could see
all these bars for each track moving around, but no
sound. Hey, it least it didn't crash utterly that
time! I feel like I'm getting warmer somehow...
-Mark

=====

--
Seek professional help!  Ask a librarian.