Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 01:22:39 EEST

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 14:30, Andrew Dahlin wrote:

> Now for the question: which window manager are you using for audio work and why? I don't mean for this to start a flame war... notice it wasn't titled "what's the best window manager?" ;) I just want to take an informal survey of what everyone is using and see why people use what they do.

I assume you're worried about the WM overtaxing the system therefore
causing xruns.

It should not matter which WM you're using if you are running a proper
kernel. 2.4 plus some patches works pretty well; 2.6 with Ingo's
voluntary preempt is actually even better but it's not yet 100%
stabilized.
With one of those kernels and with JACK in real-time mode, you could
abuse the system pretty badly and it won't skip a bit.

If you're using one of the "heavy" WMs, just don't run too many silly
applets at the same time.

I'm currently using Gnome in the default configuration that's shipped
with Fedora 2, with font antialiasing and all, and it works pretty well
on a 2.6 kernel + voluntary preempt. No xruns that can be traced back to
the WM (actually, no xruns at all under normal circumstances).

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/