Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 13:50:27 EEST

Last Thursday 12 August 2004 08:58, Anahata was like:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:22:39PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 14:30, Andrew Dahlin wrote:
> >
> > I assume you're worried about the WM overtaxing the system therefore
> > causing xruns.
> >
> > It should not matter which WM you're using if you are running a proper
> > kernel.
>
> I've been thinking that: I'm glad somebody else said it :-)
>
> The windows manager and desktop is only user-land code and if jack and
> the sound drivers are all running at higher priority all that should
> happen while you've got audio apps running is either(a) no difference or
> (b) the desktop becomes a little less responsive, depending on the
> overall CPU and disk workload.

Valid point, the issue is that the desktop can become a _lot_ less responsive
on low-resource systems, also, if you're maxing out your CPU usage you can
get nasty stuttering. KDE does take more juice. I don't think there's much to
choose between the rest. My choice of WM is really based on ergonomics.
configurability and looks.

cheers

tim hall