Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 17:30:51 EEST

Last Friday 13 August 2004 00:18, jjbenham_AT_chicagoguitar.com was like:
> Is there any other way to learn how to use a program other than just
> reading through all the code? I could ask the developers to explain it to
> me but after that the might as well have wrote the docs themselves.

Yeah, you start the application up, click on all the buttons to see what they
do, crash it a couple of times and then discover the help files. ;-]

The way you do it is far superior.

A combination of the two approaches - Intuitive + logical + asking the
developers when it doesn't make sense is probably the surest way to come up
with documentation. I don't read code at all, but if we worked together,
hypothetically, we'd be able to cover most angles.

That's what I like about WIKI, someone like me can set up an
intuitive-oriented framework and get the experts to fill in the details and
make corrections. Well that's the theory.

cheers

tim hall