Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 00:59:14 EEST

> Y'know what? All it would take would be for one demo recorded someplace
> to generate a contract and people would be clamoring for linux audio.

If you're talking about attracting people like *us*... Yes... But, if
you're talking about everyone else...

"Hi... I'm "Joe WindowsUser'. I just installed Linux."

App_X didn't have sound, so I googled for 3 hours. Apperently, I need to
run and "audio server" called "Jack". What's an "Audio Server"?

I googled for three hours and found out how to use Jack.

I must be forgetting something because it's still not working.

After gigging all night, I still had time to google and find out that
there a group called "Linux Audio Users". They will help me.

Got my answer to why Jack isn't working... It was confusing and took 3
hours to figure out. But now I can connect a mic and record some music.
But my keyboard doesn't work... What's wrong?

I googled for 3 hours and found out I need to connect "virtual ports"
together. What the hell is a "virtual port".

Linux Audio Users told me to use "KAConnect" to connect virtual ports.
But all I saw was stuff like 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'...
What the hell is 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'? I connected my
keyboard up the the midi port... where's my midi port in the list?

The next day I got my answer... and everthing was connected up right.
But they tell me I have to "load the wavetabe". Let me send an email to
Linux Audio Users and see if they can tell me how to "load the wavetable".

Is there anyone here that thinks we're ready for the "general public"?

Rocco