Re: [linux-audio-user] "Linux fx box how to" WAS: some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] "Linux fx box how to" WAS: some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: Ruth A. Kramer (rhkramer_AT_fast.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 22:42:36 EEST

Sorry for the delayed reply to this -- as an aside, if you're ISP offers
postini as an email filter beware -- I'm getting a lot of false
positives (i.e., real mail marked as spam and not delivered (although I
can look at it on line and have it delivered). It also misses a lot of
real spam.

\
> >Is there some specific format that works best...my intent at this point
> >is to just do it as either an open office document or just plain ol'
> >text file in Kwrite or similar.

I can help someone (anyone) get started on putting documentation on the
wiki WikiLearn. One easy first step might be to provide me with the
documentation in plain text. I think it works best if their is a table
of contents that can point to fairly small web (wiki) pages (a screenful
to several screenfuls).

Russell: Give a holler (or some text) if you want to give WikiLearn a
try.

Randy Kramer

Aside: In response to Dave Phillips suggestion that I try to put the
Sound HOWTO on WikiLearn (I don't recall if that was an on-list or
off-list suggestion), I've started reading the Sound HOWTO. One issue
that I would have to deal with is the copyright thing -- even though the
Sound HOWTO is issued under the GFDL, there is a list of things that
have to be considered (something like items a. thru m.), and I'm not
sure how to approach them.

If I go forward with the project, I'll probably write directly to the
author and confirm he has no objection to putting it on a wiki and
solicit his suggestions on complying with the requirements of the GFDL
(or perhaps not complying by allowing it to be placed on the wiki under
some other license).

What I've read so far of the document (I'm starting section 4, iirc, on
a different computer (i.e., it's not immediately at hand)) looks well
written and fairly timeless -- i.e., I'm not sure how much updating /
correction is needed. But, the point of this paragraph is to say that I
don't have much technical knowledge of the subject to be able to spot
the need for corrections. (Which is, of course, a reason for putting it
on a wiki, where others can spot those needs, and others may be able to
meet those needs.)