Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer
From: Thomas Pickett (thomasr_pickett_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 23:09:38 EEST

Hey,
          thanks for the advice. I don't care too much on which distro is
easiest to install. I care more about how good it works for music
production. If you had the choice which one of the suggestions given would
you use?

About the firewire stuff. I think it is too bad that linux does not
support it at this point. There are lots of decent soundcards that are
firewire based. MOTU 828mkII, Edirol FA-101, Presonus Firepod. The only
decent pci card I can think of that has multiple ins/outs on it is the delta
1010. Firewire gives the posibility to use the soundcard on different
computers and portability is not a problem. It seems strange that the linux
community isn't heading in that direction. I understand that it takes alot
of work but I think that the firewire soundcards give alot more options than
the pci cards. Any comments?

Thomas

>On Sunday 22 August 2004 03:00 pm, Jan Depner wrote:
> > The easiest installation known to man - Fedora Core 1 (full load) and
> > Planet CCRMA.
> >

>Nah, pre-loaded is easier ;)
>
> > Jan

>with
>linux

>*bad*

>10

>vice
> > >
> > > Debian installer isn't that bad, it's just not pretty to look at. If
>he
> > > got Gentoo installed, he'll feel positively coddled by the Debian
> > > installer.
> > >
> > > The other options you suggest are popular.

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.