Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 17:20:58 EEST

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:14:40PM +0200, ChristianH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in a similar situation. Within a couple of weeks I'll be buying a
> new PC which (besides still running Windows) should be, say, at least
> Linux friendly.
>
> Since in this case I'm not tied to given legacy hardware, I'd rather put
> in some components that are particularly suitable for Linux.
>
> >From what I heard, culprits can be
> - audio card
> - graphics card (hi resolution, 1280+, no 3D game capability needed)
> - and I assume MIDI interface as well (6 to 8 ports in+out)

dunno about mult-port midi devices, my own midi needs are
very modest.

> Are there cards with rather good Linux driver support?
> Are there cards better to avoid in Linux world, due to their poor driver
> status?
>
> Is there a Linux hardware FAQ site somewhere, with some recommendations?

There was the Linux Audio Quality HOWTO, but since I stopped
maintaining it, it's very old info now.
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/quality/

This Wiki can be helpful:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/
... especially this page about all the drivers:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaDrivers

> Until now I've been using an Emagic AW8 audio card, which perfectly fits
> my needs (don't really need 24/96k or oodles of audio ports).
> For Windows I was considering an Emagic AMT8 or Unitor8 interface, but I
> don't remember seeing any Linux drivers on their site (well, they may
> call'em OS X drivers... ;-)

An OS X driver wouldn't do you any good.

Somebody did write an AW8 driver here:
http://www.sipkema-digital.com/~msipkema/audiowerk.shtml
... but it's rather non-standard (why the driver talks to its
own user-space JACK code and isn't an alsa driver is beyond me,
presumably it was a quicker way for the author to get what he wanted.)

If you're buying a new card and want just a few good-quality I/O,
you might consider one of the ice1712-based cards as listed
on http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaDrivers...
a lot of us have them and like them. I've got a Delta 66.

Archives of this mailing list will also be helpful.

In general, if there's a card you're interested in, google
for name of card + linux + alsa and see what pops up.

> Another component may be somewhat outside this list's topics, I'm
> thinking of adding a video MPEG input/encoder card as well - maybe somebody
> can give me any pointers on that...?

sorry, no idea.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com