Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware incompatibility list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware incompatibility list
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 16:50:56 EEST

Hi Robert,

How goes your music?

--- Robert Jonsson <rj_AT_spamatica.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As posted on slashdot, someone has started up a
> hardware incompatibility list
> for Linux. I didn't look to closely yet so I don't
> know about the quality and
> how it's going to work.

I haven't read it either and probably won't. My
reaction is to put myself in the shoes of a
manufacturer. My response wouldn't positive or
possibly indifference. Maybe the campaign is being
presented in a positive way, I wouldn't know.

> Anyway, I think one of the goals is to put pressure
> on the hardware makers to
> provide specs/drivers, which sounds like a good idea
> to me.

At the age of 43, I've begun to notice that the
pressure method fails to get me what I want. I'm a
slow learner. :) "You will be my girlfriend, work a
full-time job, pay the bills and bare my children. I
will write songs. Is their anything you don't
understand?"

I think persisting with requests is a good strategy.
Maybe our methods need to be sharpened up. We have
www.linuxaudio.org where part of the objective is to
deal with issues like this.

>From the perspective of a manufacturer, we are not
interesting because our numbers aren't great enough to
return an investment or pay for ongoing costs. Our
argument is that we're a low cost, self sufficient
investment.

I think we could select devices and find developers
who are willing to write the drivers. Then sell our
community and the developer to the manufacturers. From
any business perspective, we have almost nothing to
offer. I know that sounds harsh but it isn't all bad.
We can be honest, respectful and carefully ask for
help.

<example_letter>
Dear Manufacturer,

We are asking you to assist the linux audio community
by contributing item X. In return, we offer our
gratitude and the "pie-in-the-sky" promises of a
thriving young community. Our current accomplishments
include; alsa drivers for X, Y, and Z. The
applications that these devices are used with include
X, Y and Z. Demographic statistics for our community
can be found at www.linuxaudio.org. Upon recieving
device X, you can expect Developer X, resume attached,
to release a working linux driver by date X.

As a rule, our community takes great pride in solving
all challanges at no cost to contributing
manufacturers and always fulfilling our agreements.
</>

The demographic statistics must exist and should be
favorably presented; trends, etc.

What hardware do we need, firewire stuff?

OFF TOPIC NOISEY RAMBLE
Part of me is satisfied that linux audio does not
participate in consumorism that's being appealed to in
every trade magazine. On a personal level, the need to
consume is a veneer to mask any lack of discipline and
talent that's required to produce great music. Along
these lines, my current conondrum is whether or not to
upgrade my drum kit.

I began to study drums about a year ago. I average
three hours of disciplined study every day. I focus on
applying rudiments to the kit. The objective is to
play every pattern bottom up or reversed to top down
and left side start or right side start. I have a
vision for the type of kit that would serve my
objective. I know it would be much better than the
typical layout that I have. To assemble it, will cost
another $1,000.00. When I explained it to a friend who
has been drumming for 30 years he laughed and replied,
"ohhhh now you're innovative but the truth is that
you're a dumbass." We both laughed. I am having so
much fun learning to play the drums, why ruin the
experience by do something stupid like spending money?

Well, those are my rambling pre-coffee thoughts.

ron "the anti-consumer" parker