Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware incompatibility list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware incompatibility list
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 20:17:05 EEST

Last Thursday 26 August 2004 14:50, R Parker was like:
> my current conondrum is whether or not to
> upgrade my drum kit.
>
> I began to study drums about a year ago. I average
> three hours of disciplined study every day. I focus on
> applying rudiments to the kit. The objective is to
> play every pattern bottom up or reversed to top down
> and left side start or right side start. I have a
> vision for the type of kit that would serve my
> objective. I know it would be much better than the
> typical layout that I have. To assemble it, will cost
> another $1,000.00. When I explained it to a friend who
> has been drumming for 30 years he laughed and replied,
> "ohhhh now you're innovative but the truth is that
> you're a dumbass." We both laughed. I am having so
> much fun learning to play the drums, why ruin the
> experience by do something stupid like spending money?

I've just managed to get my favourite drummer to commit to being in a band
with me. Drumming fascinates me, because I can't do it, I try and it's lame.

One of the things that impresses me about Greg's style is his minimalism.
Every session he seems to play with one less kit piece than previously and
his playing just gets better. Currently he's been turning up with a piccolo
snare, mini hi-hats and a small collection of non-standard cymbals, removing
most of the toms and _really_ working what is left. The range of tones he
gets just out of the snare is a revelation.

It's a technician thing to worry about the equipment, it's natural to want to
improve it. It's a musician thing to learn to get the best out of what you've
got. You clearly have the ability to do both. It's the same with software.
What is important is that we have fun playing with it, working with it and
expressing ourselves creatively. That doesn't justify using dodgy tools,
maintaining them and discussing the pros and cons is all part of the fun.
However, it's important not to get lost in the technical details.

cheers

tim hall

"Split yer hands Ronnie" ... "Dubba Dubba CHA ... "
... "You F'kin' PLAYED it earlier ... "
-- Probable misquote: "The Troggs", studio outtakes.