Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendation
From: kmd (lazone_AT_pi.be)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 16:55:30 EEST

Pieter Penninckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Porhaps I will have the opportunity to buy a new computer. I have
> allready my soudcard and microphone and I am waiting for my mixer.
> So the question is: what motherboard, processor, power supply unit,
> computer case, harddisk etc. do you recommend and whitch pieces of
> hardware are problematic?
>
> I want to do harddisk recording and midi with softsynths. I want
> the computer to be silent (I have a condenser microphone) and
> I want low latency, of cource.

well, do some research on hardware you might want and search for noise
level specs, especially hard disks, coolers and power supplies. in
general more silent means more expensive. but you have to be sure
everything is cooled enough! i blew up my new harddisk due to excessive
heat (i'm not sure that was the reason, but the device was very hot when
it crashed, i installed a hd cooler now). if you want low latency and do
recording, go for a pro sound card and a fast harddisk. checkout
http://leenooks.com/1 too for hardware incompatibility issues and some
linx distro have a hardware compatibility list as well.

kmd