Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for buying sound gear online

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for buying sound gear online
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 18:39:36 EEST

Hi Glenn,

--- Glenn McCord <clari_player_AT_paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> As a New Zealander, I'm not privilaged enough to get
> the prices on audio
> gear that the US citizens do.

Neither does a client of mine in Rotterdam, Holland.
At least that's what I'm told.

> Does anyone recommend a website for purchasing
> recording gear online.
> i.e had positive experiences, good price, service
> etc.

The person I'm referring to is dealing with Guitar
Center U.S. The budget is around $50,000 U.S. With
that budget there's alot of potential to save money.
One of the hitches is power; U.S. 110 vs Euro 220. My
suggestion was to wire his studio so all the power
goes through a common convertor (Lamba or whatever)
that recieves 220 and has modules for 110 or even
guitar effect voltages.

I think Guitar Center ships internationally and there
probably won't be any taxes. If you can purchase from
one vender, it might be possible to put small devices
into the same shipping carton as the mixer. Although,
that could void the warranty of the mixer--not sure.

Guitar Center is the largest U.S. retailer. I forget
the total number of stores in N. America but it's
probably a couple hundred and maybe alot more than
that. If a sales rep in L.A., California isn't helpful
enough, then contact a different one in New York City.
Sam Ash is the second largest U.S. retailer. And have
some fun, work them over as though they are stealing
your money. These damned wallet vacumes...oh, don't
even get me started.

ron