Re: [linux-audio-user] 8-channel system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 8-channel system
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 19:29:06 EEST

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 07:30, luis jure wrote:
> el Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:49:23 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht_AT_comcast.net> escribió:
>

> > Be aware that 88K/96K operation is not supported by all devices that
> > have ADAT interfaces. RME supports it, at least on some devices, but
> > many/most audio interfaces do not and just shut off the ADAT interfaces
> > when operating atthose sampling rates. My main Pro Tools bos is that
> > way.
> >
> > Read the specs and owner's amnual carefully before buying if 96K
> > lightpipe operation is important to you.
>
> thanks for the info, but we're not planning to use the adat interface (we
> have no use for it), just the analog outputs. it's mainly a performance
> system: computer --> card --> active speakers.

OK, cool. That will work also even if you want to get better 96K output
converters since you can go out using spdif to another D/A later if you
ever wanted to. (Probably not necessary for a live system, but needs
have a way of changing, or needing to be dual purpose like recording in
a studio a bunch of stuff you already have on the system.)

Have fun,
Mark