Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 23:20:43 EEST

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:24, David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 19:00,
> linux-audio-user-request_AT_music.columbia.edu wrote:
> > Go for it. i would definetly like to save the extra step of compiling
> > the realtime lsm each time i upgrade my kernel.. And i think it might
> > prove useful even for non audio users.. Often security stuff likes to
> > mlock small portions of memory, too, etc..
>
> Yes, except that the realtime-lsm precompiled binary is not updated on Sid
> each time the kernel is. The only way to keep it current is to compile it
> yourself. Compiles quickly and reliably--just remember to copy the .ko to the
> correct place and then reboot.

This is why we want realtime-lsm to be part of the kernel, because it
_would_ automatically get upgraded when you upgraded your kernel. Since
it's simple and reliable, like you said, there's a pretty good argument
for adding it to the standard Linux kernel. You would not have to deal
with compiling it separately.

Lee