Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in the kernel
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 23:01:42 EEST

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 02:57:01PM -0400, John Check wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 04:20 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:24, David Baron wrote:
> > > Yes, except that the realtime-lsm precompiled binary is not updated on
> > > Sid each time the kernel is. The only way to keep it current is to
> > > compile it yourself. Compiles quickly and reliably--just remember to copy
> > > the .ko to the correct place and then reboot.
> > This is why we want realtime-lsm to be part of the kernel, because it
> > _would_ automatically get upgraded when you upgraded your kernel. Since
> Are you sure? ALSA isn't always current.

The thing is that even if there weren't a new version of the lsm, there
would at least be a build that matched the symbols of the kernel
version. The problem isn't so much keeping the version of the
realtime-lsm in sink as it is having a version that's compiled to match
the kernel version.

Even with alsa drivers, if you build the most reason version outside the
kernel tree, you have to recompile everytime you recompile your kernel.
maybe you could get around this by turning off versioned symbols in your
kernel ... but, I get the impression things can get messy that way. I
don't entirely grok what I'm talking about .. but, I've generally
understood it to be better to not try to mix modules compiled against
a given kernel with other kernels.

-Eric Rz.