Re: [linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...
From: Mikhail Ramendik (mr_AT_ramendik.ru)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 04:31:13 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> > (I can put a WAV sample of several seconds, before and after conversion,
> > up on my Web site, if anybody would care to look at this strange effect)
>
> Yes, please do. Also tell us the command line / program you are
> using to the conversion.

I have put up a page at

http://www.ramendik.ru/sound/index.html

It has command lines and links to the results (and to the original, of
course).

This is an uncompress 25 second sample, so the files are rather large
(under 4 megs each, the original is over 4 megs). But the original and
one converted file will be enough, the converted ones don't differ all
that much.

The coice is that of the famous Russian singer, Chaliapin. Never mind
the Russian language - listen to the sound of the voice, especially from
6-7 seconds and up. The difference seems very serious to me.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

P.S. This is encoded from vinyl, and I have not done gwc cleaning
because, when it reaches good results, it seems to somewhat degrade the
sound as well. Manual declicking would probably do wonders but I don't
have the time...