Re: [linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Converting sample rate: failed...
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 04:59:27 EEST

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 05:31:13 +0400
Mikhail Ramendik <mr_AT_ramendik.ru> wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > >
> > > (I can put a WAV sample of several seconds, before and after conversion,
> > > up on my Web site, if anybody would care to look at this strange effect)
> >
> > Yes, please do. Also tell us the command line / program you are
> > using to the conversion.
>
> I have put up a page at
>
> http://www.ramendik.ru/sound/index.html

I've just used libsamplerate 0.1.1 to do the same conversion as you:

    sndfile-resample -to 44100 -c 0 test.wav test-c0.wav

and I can't hear any problem with the sample rate conversion.

> P.S. This is encoded from vinyl, and I have not done gwc cleaning
> because, when it reaches good results, it seems to somewhat degrade the
> sound as well. Manual declicking would probably do wonders but I don't
> have the time...

Well you are starting with a SERIOUSLY degraded source. I'm no
expert in noise removal, but with material that bad to start
with, I don't think there is much hope.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
When aiming for the common denominator, be prepared for the
occasional division by zero.