[linux-audio-user] xruns in jackd & not all devices in /dev/snd

Subject: [linux-audio-user] xruns in jackd & not all devices in /dev/snd
From: Michael Wagner (mw_AT_wasted.ch)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 22:04:58 EEST

Hello everyone

I recently decided to try to do some audiowork on GNU/Linux, because I'm very
interestend in music and I saw that there seem to be a few nice applications
for my OS of choice :-) So, I'm quite new to this stuff...

Now I've got a few problems running jack. The first (minor) problem is, that at
the time the rc-script for jack runs, there are no pcmC0D(0|1)(c|p) devices in
/dev/snd, so jack doesn't start automatically, because it can't find them. The
funny thing is, the jackd is the last daemon started. Right after the rc-script
runs, the login prompt appears and after I log in, the devices exist and I can
start the daemon. Does anyone have an idea about what may be the cause of this
"delay" in the creation of these devices? May it have to do with me using Udev
instead of DevFS?

The major problem I have is, that when I start jack, I get xruns, even without
any other application running... (except system processes such as crond...)
They're starting to appear about 5 seconds after jack started and I'm getting
one about every second.
The command I use for running jackd is: jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -n 8
(If I don't specify -n 8, jack wouldn't even start)
I'm using ArchLinux, running a 'selfmade' kernel 2.6.8.1 with the voluntary
preempt patch applied. Actually I wanted to keep a 2.4-kernel, but the
distribution recently updatet to gcc-3.4, so I needed to patch the kernel,
because without this gcc-3.4-fix it wouldn't compile anymore. Unfortunately
this fix seemded to interfere with the other patches I wanted to apply for
low-latency.

And finally the hardware I use:
- soundcard: RME DIGI 96/8 PST
- CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800
- Mainboard: some Epox E8K9A7I with VIA KT400A chipset.

Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this xrun-issue? Or do you think it's
impossible to do this with my hardware and linux-2.6*?

Thank you in advance
-Michael Wagner